Call AFC's Education Helpline
Monday to Thursday
10 am to 4 pm
Paige, a bright third grade student on the autism spectrum, sat at home for nearly two months waiting for a school placement that would meet her needs.
Receive email updates or text alerts from AFC.
Who We Are
Who We Are
At Advocates for Children of New York (AFC), we are dedicated exclusively to protecting every child’s right to an education, focusing on students from low-income backgrounds who are struggling in school or experiencing school discrimination of any kind.
For more than 40 years, our staff of attorneys and education specialists have successfully helped hundreds of thousands of families by providing free legal and advocacy services, including representation at school-related hearings and appeals, and teaching families what they need to know to stand up for their children’s educational rights.
AFC also works to change education policy so that the public school system serves ALL children of New York City effectively. For more information about Policy & Initiatives and Litigation, please click on the links.
To learn more about the populations we serve, go to:
- Early Childhood
- Students with Disabilities
- Students who are Over-Age for their Grade Level
- Immigrant Students and English Language Learners
- Students Facing Disciplinary Issues
- Youth Involved in the Juvenile & Criminal Justice Systems
- Students Involved in the Child Welfare System
- Students in Temporary Housing
- Students Attending Charter Schools
To read about some of the students AFC has helped, please go to Success Stories.