Need Help?

Call AFC's Education Helpline
(866) 427-6033
Monday to Thursday
10 am to 4 pm 

Resource library: View AFC's guidebooks, fact sheets, and more

Read Jonatan's Story

Jonatan, an immigrant student from Guatemala, needed assistance enrolling in an appropriate high school.

Sign up

Receive email updates or text alerts from AFC.

Who We Serve

Students in Temporary Housing

Students in Temporary Housing

Students who are living in a homeless shelter or other temporary housing arrangements have certain rights, including the right to remain in the school they were attending before they became homeless and the right to transportation to their school. Through a grant from the State Education Department, Advocates for Children of New York (AFC) runs the New York State Technical and Education Assistance Center for Homeless Students (NYS-TEACHS), which provides information, referrals, and training to parents, schools, school districts, social service providers, and others about the educational rights of children and youth experiencing homelessness throughout New York State.

Our services include:

Please visit the NYS-TEACHS website for comprehensive information about the McKinney-Vento Act, resources for districts and families, data on students experiencing homelessness, and more.

You can also call our toll-free hotline at 1-800-388-2014.

McKinney-Vento At a Glance

The McKinney-Vento Act covers children and youth who do not have a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence, such as those living:

  • In an emergency or transitional shelter;
  • With others due to a loss of housing, economic hardship, or other similar reason (doubled up);
  • In a motel, hotel, or campground because of the lack of alternative adequate accomodations;
  • In a car, bus or train station or other public place;
  • In an abandoned building or some other inadequate accommodations; or
  • In temporary situations while awaiting foster care placement.

Students covered by the McKinney-Vento Act can:

  • Stay in their same schools even if they are now temporarily residing outside of the district and receive free transportation to that school;
  • Enroll in the local school and attend classes immediately, even if they don't have the documents formally needed;
  • Get free school meals without completing an application;
  • Receive Title I services;
  • Participate in any school activity or program available to other students; and
  • Get special education services immediately if the student has a current IEP.