Junior Board Summer Social
Saturday, June 8, 2013
3:00 pm to 6:30 pm
New York City
Call AFC's Education Helpline
Monday to Thursday
10 am to 4 pm
Read all about it!
Help Advocates for Children assist more New York City students
Policy & Initiatives
Advocates for Children of New York (AFC) serves ALL NYC students from birth through age 26, including students in charter schools. As charter schools differ from community schools in terms of accountability structures and applicable laws, we started an initiative on charter schools to build our expertise in this area.
AFC’s Charter Schools Initiative provides:
- Advice and legal representation for low-income parents of students who are struggling in charter schools, suspended or in danger of expulsion from charter schools, failing to receive their special education services, or experiencing discrimination.
- We offer informative workshops & trainings for parents of students in charter schools and charter schools operators.
If you would like to speak with an attorney or advocate, please call our Helpline between the hours of 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Thursday at 1-866-427-6033.
To schedule a workshop on charter schools or find out more about the Charter Schools Initiative, please contact Paulina Davis at 1-212-822-9534 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guides & Resources
- Questions and Answers about Charter Schools
This fact sheet provides an introduction to charter schools, questions to ask as you consider applying to charter schools, and the rights of parents and students in charter schools.
- Rights of Students with Disabilities in Charter Schools
This fact sheet explains the rights that students with disabilities have to receive special education evaluations and services at charter schools.
- Guide to Charter School Discipline
This guide explains discipline for charter school students, what to do if your child has been suspended from a charter school, how to appeal a charter school's suspension decision, and your rights throughout the process. The guide also includes information for families of students with disabilities who have been suspended.
- Fact Sheet on The Legal Requirements for School Co-Location in New York City
This fact sheet answers commonly asked questions about the requirements for school co-location.